Tuesday 13 December 2016

The Winter People ~ Jennifer McMahon

I have been quiet on here lately for a few reasons.

The biggest reason being that I have been in the most ridiculous book drought I think I have ever experienced in my entire life. My attention span when it comes to reading lately has been nil and the few novels I have attempted haven't kept my attention at all. This has gone on for over a month!! My concentration level has been limited to my writing (which I will tell you about in a separate post) and the odd Netflix series (The Crown! WOW!) 

Until this past weekend.

We had a large snow system come through on Sunday so I thought I would download a new book from Kobo that I've heard rave reviews about:

The Winter People by Jennifer McMahon.

If you haven't heard of this novel yet let me introduce you to your next read.

 Displaying IMG_2829.JPG

Here is the Official Synopsis:

 West Hall, Vermont, has always been a town of strange disappearances and old legends. The most mysterious is that of Sara Harrison Shea, who, in 1908, was found dead in the field behind her house just months after the tragic death of her daughter.

Now, in present day, nineteen-year-old Ruthie lives in Sara’s farmhouse with her mother, Alice, and her younger sister. Alice has always insisted that they live off the grid, a decision that has weighty consequences when Ruthie wakes up one morning to find that Alice has vanished. In her search for clues, she is startled to find a copy of Sara Harrison Shea's diary hidden beneath the floorboards of her mother's bedroom. As Ruthie gets sucked into the historical mystery, she discovers that she’s not the only person looking for someone that they’ve lost. But she may be the only one who can stop history from repeating itself.



 My Take:  The Winter People was exactly the type of novel I needed to break the dry spell I have been experiencing! This book was a can't put down, extremely creepy and completely fascinating read. It sucked me in so hard and made me so jumpy that when my daughter knocked on a door I almost had a panic attack. I was so disturbed. (It was great!)

We follow many different characters and jump from the Past to Present Day as the pieces of this mysterious puzzle are put together. The writing and the way the story flows is fantastic. There are plenty of twists and turns to keep you guessing. All in all I would give this novel 5/5 stars. I do not want to say much of anything for fear of giving away the plot and all the secrets this book holds. There is a reason some people are calling this one of the best books of 2016.

I ABSOLUTELY recommend this novel to almost everyone. This includes my teenage daughter. I will be buying a copy for our bookshelf and I will certainly let her read it (She loves a good scare!) I can't wait to be able to talk about this novel with others who have read it.

If you fall into the following categories: Mystery Lover, Paranormal Lover, Horror Lover, Historical Fiction Lover..... I implore you check out The Winter People.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did because let me tell you -This book in some warped way was exactly what the doctor ordered! I have added author Jennifer McMahon to my 'Must Read' author list. I can't wait to see what she has in store for me next!

There is always time to ask Santa for a copy in your stocking! ;)

Now fingers crossed I can find another great read and put the book drought of 2016 behind me!

Happy Reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment