Sunday 10 February 2013

Just The Way You Are by Barbara Freethy

 Dear Barbara Freethy,

If you ever read this, I just want you to know......
You stole my Saturday! I would demand it back, but I really enjoyed the story you told! ;)

Sincerely,

Irene

I made a trip to the salon this weekend. I decided it was time for a change. My hair has been long, blonde and boring for a while now. I decided enough was enough. I booked myself in with my fabulous hairdresser (Are you reading this? I am testing you!! xoxo) excited to bring about a sassy change. (As I type this, I am now a brunette with a short choppy bob!)

While waiting for the color to take, I drank some tea, pulled out my iPhone to see what I had waiting for me on my Kindle App!


If I had known how addictive this book would be to me, I would have probably chose to read it on a day with less distractions!

'Just The Way You Are' is a novel that revolves around a complicated (and page turning) love triangle.

 Allison Tucker winds up pregnant at 18 with her sisters boyfriend, they end up marrying....(yes you read that right) Naturally this would open a whole can of worms, and nine years later (when the story takes place) it's time to air all that dirty laundry. She's older now and no longer wants to waste her life with someone she thinks is with her because of a child.

Tessa MacGuire is a supermodel who besides losing her boyfriend at a young age, hates her sister for being an annoying man stealer. She refuses to ever step foot in Tucker's Landing again, but when her Grandmother has a stroke, she has no choice to go home, face her past and the two treacherous people in it.

Sam Tucker is caught between two sisters. He's a good guy who made a stupid drunken mistake. He puts responsibility before his heart, and now it is coming back to bite him in the ass. It's time for him to figure out what he wants out of life.

Jimmy Duggan... Oh Jimmy, the friendly photographer who has an assignment with Tessa. He shows up to offer his support and from behind the camera can figure out exactly what the three are thinking and need... I love this character! He's like cupid, but with a camera.

 I really could relate a bit to some of the topics that come up in the story. (Not the whole sister-boyfriend- love triangle bit) I had a baby young and out of wedlock. I understand the emotions and fears that surround every decision made afterwards. I over analyzed everything. (just like Allison does in this book) Lucky for me, everything worked out amazing and I am very blessed. My daughters are and always will be THE best thing that has ever happened to me. I have my husband to thank for them! The only regret I have about that time period in my life is giving into the cheeseburger and cake cravings during my first pregnancy. (Seriously, would it have killed someone to tell me you don't really need to eat for two?)
That said, while the story in this book is not parallel with my life, it frightens me how much Alli resembles me at times. She freakishly acts, (overreacts) thinks and behaves like me. (Oh see, now you are going to buy the book to see what the heck I am talking about) Have you ever read a novel where you are like 'Holy crap, it's like the author was in my head, I could play that character in my sleep....' ...Well if they are EVER casting the role of Alli.... (Pick Me! Pick Me!)

My little story aside, I have to ask....

Who hasn't at some point in their lives sat back and thought 'What If...?'
Asking that question doesn't make you a bad person. It means you're human.You can't let it take over your life like the characters in this book do. (Ha! Easier said than done sometimes!) It's not healthy. Face your fears head on and learn from your mistakes.
Now, I am not here to really get into how complicated life can be, so let's knock the philosophical stuff off and get back to the review..... 

I literally could not stop reading this book. I was terrified my iPhone battery would die and I would have to charge it before finding out what happened. Who does Sam choose? His Wife and mother of his child or his First Love?

That said, not only did I finish it.... but I decided to immediately read it again. (Hey! What can I say... I like the story!)

Just The Way You Are isn't the first novel by Barbara Freethy I have read and it certainly won't be the last! (I may have to add her to my growing list of favorite authors)
I like her style. The situations are human, even though it is a love story, at times the book feels very anti-romantic in some ways and I looooove that! I really enjoyed the 'life's little lessons' aspect to the book, as well as the plot and the characters. It's no wonder Barbara Freethy is a New York Times Best Selling Author!

 If you need a beach, bubble bath, bedtime or rainy day romantic read. Pick up Just The Way You Are, or any one of her other books.

Happy Reading!

(for those of you who are like...oooooh sounds like a great book... but what about this hair change.....well these pics are for you.....) ;)

Blonde Before



Brunette After

2 comments: