Thursday 21 March 2013

ICED ~Karen Marie Moning

 Have you got 'The Fae Fever"? It's time to cure it with 'ICED' (see what I did there.... no? Than you need to read further...)

Are you looking for a book or author with the ability to drown you in a clever fantasy world? A novel or series that gets under your skin so much you dream about it?

Welcome to The Fever World created by Karen Marie Moning.

Words can not begin to describe how much I love The Highlander Series and The Fever Series.  (I have previously blogged about them, just click the links provided) So forgive me if I repeat myself a bit in this blog, but Karen Marie Moning books are ones I get very excited about.....

I can't believe it took me so long to download a copy of her latest book 'ICED' (Shame on me!)

If you have NO idea who Karen Marie Moning is....(Shame on you!) ...than let me tell you a bit about her work.....

I don't even know where to begin, but her novels involve everything from Romance, Time Travel, The Fae, Sex, Sidhe-Seers, Monsters, Action, Suspense...
We are talking the full package. On the edge of your seat ah-mazing stories!!!
(I know you are excited right now)

Even if Fantasy isn't your thing....(Expand your horizons damn it!).. start with her "Highlander" series (Romance lovers will enjoy it!!) and if you like those... than you will WANT to get lost in Fever! (Both series are linked together) 
Seriously, step outside that little 'I only read fluffy romance' box you have created and give one of her books a try. (I am willing to bet you'll thank me for introducing these books to you....)

ICED is Dani O'Malley's story.

Here is the rundown from Amazon.com:

 "The year is 1 AWC—After the Wall Crash. The Fae are free and hunting us. It’s a war zone out there, and no two days are alike. I’m Dani O’Malley, the chaos-filled streets of Dublin are my home, and there’s no place I’d rather be.

Dani “Mega” O’Malley plays by her own set of rules—and in a world overrun by Dark Fae, her biggest rule is: Do what it takes to survive. Possessing rare talents and the all-powerful Sword of Light, Dani is more than equipped for the task. In fact, she’s one of the rare humans who can defend themselves against the Unseelie. But now, amid the pandemonium, her greatest gifts have turned into serious liabilities.

Dani’s ex–best friend, MacKayla Lane, wants her dead, the terrifying Unseelie princes have put a price on her head, and Inspector Jayne, the head of the police force, is after her sword and will stop at nothing to get it. What’s more, people are being mysteriously frozen to death all over the city, encased on the spot in sub-zero, icy tableaux.

When Dublin’s most seductive nightclub gets blanketed in hoarfrost, Dani finds herself at the mercy of Ryodan, the club’s ruthless, immortal owner. He needs her quick wit and exceptional skill to figure out what’s freezing Fae and humans dead in their tracks—and Ryodan will do anything to ensure her compliance.

Dodging bullets, fangs, and fists, Dani must strike treacherous bargains and make desperate alliances to save her beloved Dublin—before everything and everyone in it gets iced."

My Take:

A MOST EXCELLENT BOOK!!!!

It had a bit of a pricy tag on it (my Kobo download was around $16!!) but WELL worth it, especially if you are into The Fever Series or are looking for a series to knock your socks off.

The one thing about the Dani O'Malley Trilogy that I do recommend is you MUST read the original Fever Series (MacKayla Lane's story) first. If you don't, I imagine you are setting yourself up for a 'What The Fuck?' moment, trying to figure out what exactly is going on. Her stories are very complex and detailed and you need to start from square one.

We learn a lot about Dani in this novel. We gain some insight into her past, how tragically she was raised and how she came to live with the Sidh-seers. 
Throughout the story we do catch glimpses of Mac and Jerricho, and it is part of the story line how Dani misses and avoids them.
She also seems to have quite the crush on Ryodan, even if she doesn't realize it.
One of the more twisted aspects of the storyline are how many men are waiting for her to grow up. They all want to keep her safe and it really adds a fascinating aspect to the story. (It has a bit of a creepy factor to it, especially where the Unseelie Prince is concerned, but set's it up for an interesting triangle when Dani is 'older')
It will be interesting to see where the next two books in the series take us. I am sure KMM will age Dani as the series continue so we can see who she eventually ends up with, if she ends up with anyone at all.

Like all books I am obsessed with, I couldn't put it down. I couldn't finish it before bedtime though, which meant I had some insane dreams that night. I was in Dublin fighting alongside Dani and Ryodan. (Crazy!) When's the last time a book has actually influenced your dreams? That is a rare occurrence with me, but I'll take it!
I picked the book back up the next morning at breakfast and devoured it. (It turned into a PJ's until noon-kinda day!)
Due to the surprising cliff-hanger, I am going to go insane until Book Two in the trilogy is released and I won't slack so much on grabbing a copy this time.
Rumor has it that "Burned" may not be available until 2014..... I am trying to keep up to date on my KMM news and will let my readers know once I find out.

I have said it once, twice and I will keep saying it again....and again......

Read anything that Karen Marie Moning has written.  

 End of story!

Happy Reading! :)


**Possible Small Spoiler Alert for those who haven't read MacKayla's ENTIRE Story:

(Everyone else don't past this part if you don't want a major series spoiler)

Don't say I didn't warn you.....

I had to add this for those who are just as obsessed with these books and as I am.
Probably the only trouble I had with Dani's story is knowing the role she played in betraying Mac.
It's hard to 'like' her as much as you liked MacKayla knowing that she was capable of such deceit.
I discussed this with a friend who felt the same way, so it's not just me.
That lil fact doesn't make me love the book any less though, After all, it's more Fae-Fun!





No comments:

Post a Comment