Thursday 29 March 2012

Dreamfever by Karen Marie Moning ~Paranormal Fantasy


Book One of the Fever Series: Dreamfever

I’m going to continue on with my Karen Marie Moning love-fest. I waited patiently for weeks to read this series. I decided to start the books on my vacation to Punta Cana, I knew it would be a great read and wanted to give myself plenty of ‘relaxing’ time to devour them. Naturally, I read them whilst sipping Pina Colada’s and sunning myself on the beach.  As a busy mom and housewife, it was just what the doctor ordered!

Rather than write about the entire series, I will pay attention to each book, as this series is so much different than the Highlander one. The two series do blend together, but you will find are polar opposites in style and characters.  The Highlander Series offers more romance, and gentler characters of good breeding and virtue. While the Fever novels are more action, fantasy and mystery with questionable characters and surprising villains.  I do recommend for the sake of really understand what is going on in the Fever series, you read the Highlander one first, BUT you don’t need to. It is fun to see characters from the first series cross over into the next!

In Dreamfever, we meet MacKayla Lane. She’s a southern belle, music lover and princess in pink. She receives a devastating phone call that changes her life and has her rushing off to Ireland. She discovers she is a Sidhe-seer, a person who can see the Fae. Mac ends up on a quest not only to find her sister’s murderer, but her true identity as she finds herself immersed in a frightening new reality. She meets a mysterious book shop owner named Jericho Barrons who knows things a normal person wouldn’t, and so begins a partnership of sorts. He needs her help finding the Sinsar Dubh, a book written by the Unseelie King, and she needs his help to stay alive. They don’t exactly trust one another, are very suspicious of each other and KMM captures that intensity quite well! 
Mac’s first experience with the Fae are Unseelie, which are the lesser ‘evil’ fairies. They like to project themselves as the most attractive of humans, but they are anything but. She only meets one ‘good’ (Seelie) fairy who is on a mission to help her save the world and recover the Sinsar Dubh, sent by the Seelie Queen.  Mac is very suspicious of him, but as a Sidheseer her instincts don’t let her trust any of the Fae. As far as she is concerned, they all can go away and die.

 I found myself literally on the edge of my seat, (or should I say my lounge chair) all the time, especially with the introduction of new characters and the walls between Man and Fae coming down. I was always trying to figure out who is good, who’s bad, and generally what Mac has got into! 

I don’t know about anyone else, but no matter what I read, fiction, non-fiction, news stories alike; I always find myself wondering if I would be like the heroine. I’d like to think I would be as strong as Mac’s character, but I am pretty sure I would run screaming in the opposite direction. You would eventually find me rocking back and forth in a corner somewhere. Her character has a lot of strength and resolve that increases over time. You really see a change in her from book one, to the final novel.

 I only had downloaded the first two books (Dreamfever and Bloodfever) for the trip, thinking I would be taking part in more activities than beach time. My husband surprised me by wanting to be more of a beach bum this trip, so both books were finished far too quickly! 

When I came to the end of Dreamfever, I literally screamed “NOOOOoooooo”. The cliff hanger has that effect on you and I have a bad habit of getting that sucked into a good story.
My hubby found it rather amusing because I was so obsessed with MacKayla’s story, that I re-read both books twice to keep the story going. I was barely off the plane before I hit the computer and downloaded the rest of the series to my Kobo. My apologies to my bank account.

If you haven't noticed, I'm really pushing Karen Marie Moning as an author, and HIGHLY recommend reading Dreamfever. I swear, she doesn't pay me. I am just a huge fan of her work.





2 comments:

  1. I am taking your HIGH recommendations and ordered them all at our local library...in both book & Kobo...LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Good to hear! I promise, they are worth it! I swear on my Kobo! ;)

      Delete